Hej

Jag tala och skriva Svenska in, ürsakta mig.
Jag hopp du tala och skriva Engelska

We have a problem in our vacation house. The chimney was damage and removed from the roof so our ventilation was also removed. and we do not want to repair the chimney
Can someone tell me what the best way is to fix the ventilation problem ?
I prefer the old ventilation system, not the mechanic system and I want to make a pipe on the roof and from there to every room in the house but what should the size of the pipe be on the roof and to every room ?
The house is ±100m2 and it contains an entree (±8m2) - livingroom (±25m2) - kitchen (±15m2) - badroom (±8m2) and 2 bedrooms (each ±15m2)

I hope someone can help and advice me because I want to fix it in June when I am in the house

Med vänliga hälsningar
Nol

You need to evacuate air from the bathrooms and kitchen. The only way to ensure sufficient ventilation is with a fan. Ventilation in chimneys works only if the chimney is hot. There are mufflers to lower fan noise in the ventiation system. My guess is that you need 125 mm pipes from the bathrooms and kitchen and that you combine them to at least 160 mm pipe with muffler, and further out to the roof. There are fans that are designed to sit outside on top of the pipe, and fans that is designed to sit on the pipe inside the house.

Note that you should have a separate fan for the stove, the exhaust from cooking should go directly out.

Bedrooms should have vents in the outside walls to let air in.

Thank you very much Karl I understand what you mean.
The noise is not a problem because we are not there in winter time.
The only thing now is the moisture and that is what I want to reduce by ventilation which is not in the house now or by Solarventi but that cost much more to buy

The stove have his own pipe and also the exhaust of the cooking.

What is your advice for the size of the holes in the walls for the bedrooms ?

Med vänliga hälsningar
Nol

It´s easy to make your own "solarventi" but as Karl said ,it also need some evacuation from the house to keep the moisture away. The tecnik for airsolarheater in värmland is to se at Brättne Bruk outside Arvika.A visit there pays

Again thanks but I thought that when I make a grid in the ceiling of every room and connect it to a pipe which I connect together and let it go as one pipe out of the roof and make ventilation holes in every room in the outside wall was enough to keep the moister away. All rooms have an outside wall.
But then I need to know what the size should be in the walls and the size of the pipes in the ceiling.
Please do not forget, it is a vacationhouse and I am not there in winter time.

Solarventi is a second option, it blow warm air into the house and reduce the moister.

Anyway, when I am in Sweden in June I visit Brättne Bruk in Arvika.
I visit there webside but it too difficult for me to understand so I hope they speak English.
I contact them by email
Thanbk you for helping and advice me

Med vänliga hälsingar
Nol

My guess is that the bedrooms already has some sort of ventilation holes, if the house is less then 100 years, at least. It could be a square hatch high up on the wall (may be covered with wallpaper some times, look on the outside of the house) or above/below the windows as thin, long vents. All those vents are closeable, but should be open at all times.

Do you heat the house all year? Otherwise I don´t think you will get the moisture away regardless of ventilation.

If the house gets moist when you are away you might have a leakage problem. If so, this should be your first concern.

The house is not that old but there are no vetilationholes in the house. Not visible in or outside and not around the windows.

We do not heat the house all year. It has not heated all year round by the previous owner. There was a chimney but that was only used in the weekends, it was a community house long time ago and I am making rooms inside the house.

The only problem about any leakage I can suggets is the ground under the house, Anticimex has been in the house and they told me that I have to cover the ground under the floor with plastic and the best way is to put insulation over the plastic.
I am going to do that when I am in the house next vacation in June
The previous owner remove a part of the floor, I do not know why.
Since I have no chimney and because of that no ventilation I let one window at the second floor open this winter and al doors are open too. So I create some ventilation in the house but that ventilation came from under the house thru the hole in the floor up to the open window ?!
There is no moisture in this ventilation area, there is some moisture in a room upstairs which is not in the ventilation circuit.
This was the only way to creat some kind of ventilation for the winter at that moment, I had no other choise.
But next vacation I am going to close the ground floor and insulate it and put the plastic on the ground under the floor and then I have no ventilation anymore in the house. There is ventilation under the floor !
Therefor my suggestion to make a pipe in the ceiling of every room up thru the roof and I can make holes in the outside wall in every room but therefor I ask you as citizen of Sweden and experts what size the pipe and the holes in the wall should be for the best results in Sweden.
In Holland I would suggest only one 150mm pipe in the ceiling of the livingroom all the way thru the roof and 50 cm2 hole in the wall in every room and leave all doors open when I am not there. Then I create a low air circulation and ventilation. But that is in Holland and I do not know if that works in Sweden with a totaly different climate.
In the badroom a separate 125mm pipe with fan

Med vänliga hälsningar
Nol

If the room upstairs gets moist when it´s empty that suggests some kind of leakage.

I would make the hole in the floor airtight. Ventilation air should not be taken from under the house, the ground under the house will always be moist.

Air should be ventilated from "dirty" rooms, as kitchen and bathrooms. Air inlets should be in the walls of the rest of the rooms, with the exception of rooms between intake and evacuation.

A ventilation system without a fan will exchange a very small amount of air, especially if the house is not heated.

Solar driven fans are maybe not the best choice for a house in the middle of sweden. We don´t see much of the sun in the winter, and the power of sun radiation is very limited.

There are wind driven fans. Maybe a combination of this and an electrical fan could solve your problem, where you have two pipes out to the roof. One windfan and one electrical, and some sort of switch beneath.

you can buy ventilation intakes for walls at any construction store. I would guess that they are 100 mm.

I already posted my suggestions for dimensions.

Thank you Karl, it is all clear to me.
I know what to do in my vacation.

Again, thanks for all advice and helping me
Med vänliga hälsningar
Nol

Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.