Hej everyone!

I've quite recently moved to Stockholm and bought an apartment in a building first built around 1900s and renovated in the 1970s. Right now I'm having the floor replaced, and as part of that the builders have removed the socklar to access the whole floor. We went in to visit a few times, and we noticed that where the socklar had been removed, the wall was very crumbled at the bottom (where it meets the floor).

However, with all the dust and broken bits of wall/plasterboard, it made me think: could asbestos be in this wall? Would the floor constructors have checked for this when they took off the socklar? If not, is it something we can / should check, or is there any other way of knowing whether my building has any asbestos?

For example, before drilling a hole in a wall for something, is it normal to first check that there is no asbestos? As a new arrival to Sweden I feel very lost, concerned and confused with what to do and I'd really appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Hi and welcome to sunny Sweden! Let me give you a spoiler: it't won't be like this for long, another two days or so before the great darkness is upon us all, cold marching mercilessly at it's side.

Asbestos is a dangerous mineral if you mess with it. Undisturbed, it's actually a very good material in many ways. As you seem to know, the danger lies in drilling in it, cutting, sanding or breaking it, as this exposes asbestos dust. The most common places you find it in buildings today is in roofing tiles, piping insulation, ventilation ducts, and to my surprise, in carpet glue. In retrospect, I think that's what I had in some of the rooms when we renovated, unprotected of course!

The workers should have reacted if there was indeed asbestos. It is in their interest to take precautions. With the short exposure you had, the risk of getting sometinhg like lung cancer perhaps increased from 6% to 6.0001% (speculation). The risks are there and should be avoided, but it's not like all workers active until 1979 (when it was banned) dies like flies in people's houses they were renovating. I've heard more than one testimony from elderly workers who worked in the asbestos dust every week when demolishing houses, renovating or using a handsaw to cut ventilations ducts to the correct length that thay're healthy as a ... whatever you're healthy as (nötkärna/nutshell in Swedish).

Check this out for some tips on where you might find asbestos in your house (some good training in Swedish right there, and for free!):
https://www.ocab.se/sanering-och-rengoring/asbest/

Asbestos is very hard. That's one of the tings that made it attractive, along with great heat endurance. If you bump into a very hars surface when drilling, but the rest is wasy to drill through, chances are you have an asbestos layer right there, or, it's just some other material.

Asbestos was typically used as water pipe insulation and in some types of floor glue used to glue the plastic mat to the concrete floor. And, of course, in the infamous "Eternit" facade tiles.

The workers in the asbestos cement industry who got hurt typically mixed bags of raw asbestos mineral into cement mixers with no breathing protection whatsoever. For decades. To add insult to injury they usually smoked. And still the number of asbestosis cases count in the dozens at most.

Once baked into a product, asbestos is relatively harmless. If you break a piece of construction material or inhale dust from an old brake pad (from the early 80's or earlier), the particles are well over a micron in size which is usually something you cough up. The problem in handling the raw mineral was that particles were sub micron in size and got stuck in the lungs, leading to loss of lung function.

In short, the horror stories you read in sensationalist articles have no bearing in reality. That said, use a face mask when handling asbestos products and dispose of the material packed in plastic. And clean up using a shop vac with a HEPA filter. But do not panic. This applies to sporadic amateur handling, professionals use closed dress and full face masks.

• Gilla
Dilato
  • Laddar…
I know asbestos is more common in dry wall in the US, but in sweden this is not typicall. In sweden it was usually used in pipe insulation, window benches(?), sheet material called Eternit used as facade material, roofs and protection behind furnaces and fire places. Also in cement based materials behind tiles and some floor mat glues.

So, i dont think you need to worry, the wall material is very unlikely to have asbestos in it

• Gilla
Dilato
  • Laddar…
Thank you all for your replies, all very helpful.

I would like to do some relatively minor things, such as installing spotlights (which means drilling into the ceiling) and moving electrical sockets (which means cutting a channel in a wall). Whilst the risk is low, should it still be performed? In the UK, if there is a risk of asbestos, before any work can be performed in a home there must first be an asbestos inspection undertaken. Is that the same here in Sweden, and is 'asbestinspektor' the right name for the person/company who would do it please?

My home is an apartment in a BRF, so I've also emailed the BRF today to see if they have any information. I'm hoping they should know from past renovations etc.

In your own home, no inspection is needed if you do the job yourself, or with help from friends and family. It becomes mandatory ony when someone does it as a worker/employee. The title cold be asbestinspektör but people in that line of buiness often work with more generic building inspections, so their title is probably not that. Check with Ocab and Anticimex, they are two main actors.

Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.