Hi everyone

I've recently had new oak parquet installed in my home. Around the fireplace, there is a small gap (5-10mm) between the parquet and the marble plate on the floor in front of the fireplace.

Is it normal to have this space? It's not particularly good to look at. There are also small pieces of wood that have been pushed into the gap (presumably to hold the parquet in place whilst it was being glued to the sub-floor).

Thank you

• Gap between new oak parquet and green marble plate in front of a fireplace, with small pieces of wood partially filling the space.
    Inloggade ser högupplösta bilder
    Skapa konto
    Gratis och tar endast 30 sekunder
  • Nyinstallerad ekparkett med en glipa på 5-10 mm mellan parketten och marmorplattan framför eldstaden. Små träbitar syns i glipan.
    Skapa konto
  • Bilden visar en nyinstallerad ekparkettgolv runt en eldstads område med en liten glipa på 5-10 mm mellan parketten och marmorskivan framför eldstaden.
    Skapa konto
Expansionsfog?

arneri68 arneri68 skrev:
Expansionsfog?
Thanks for the reply! Sorry, my Swedish is still a work in progress (I'm quite new to Sweden!) but - do you mean that the gap is intentional to allow for expansion of the wood?

R Rupy271 skrev:
Thanks for the reply! Sorry, my Swedish is still a work in progress (I'm quite new to Sweden!) but - do you mean that the gap is intentional to allow for expansion of the wood?
Yes. Expansion gap. When the fire place is used during the winter the wood will shrink due to dry air and the heat from the fire place. During the summer/autumn when the air is humid the wood will expand. If the wood floor is too tight against the stones it can get squeezed and pushed out of position.

Check with the carpenter if he can use a flexible filler in the gap.

Unfortunately the wood and stone will move during the seasons in different ways, so even if it was completely tight right now, you would either see a gap later, or a bulge on the floor when it tried to expand against the stone.

So, the gap is needed.
It *might* be possible to add a flexible filler to avoid to ccllect stuff in the gap, but that will most likely not be pretty in the long run.

It might be better to add a thin trim strip, either T-shaped that will slot in the gap or just flat that is glued or screwed into place.

(Ie, something like this, just the first google hit, not a recommendation: https://www.amazon.se/Golvövergångs...inatgolv-Tröskelreducerare/dp/B0CZ45H8L7?th=1 )

Eldstad med dekorerad järnkamin, bredvid en flaska sprit och ljusstakar med tända ljus. Golvet runt kaminen är täckt med ett metallskydd.
Skapa konto

Here You can see how I covered the gap whit a piece of iron 3x25 that I grinded an angel on one side.
Then You can whipe dirt on the stone and it stays there, almost......
/W

• Gilla
Dowser4711
  • Laddar…
Thanks everyone! I will reach out to the installers to see what they suggest.

As you got a glued parquet, I don’t think you will not see much movement. I have a stone floor (heated) with parquet in my entrence. It is +15 years and the filler is fine.

Bild av golv med träparkett och en mörk stenplatta i entréområdet.
Skapa konto

Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.