Hello everyone!

I'm quite new to Sweden so please forgive my use of English instead!

I've recently bought an apartment in an old building in central Stockholm. Unfortunately, the bedroom has serious issues with noise coming through the wall from the neighbor (it is literally as if they are talking in the same room). I've therefore been in contact with a soundproofing company and the solution is to build a new (soundproofed) wall in front of the existing one.

A potential issue is that, in the top left of this wall, there is an existing ventilation hole. I'm not sure whether it's specifically used for ventilation, or whether it's the old hole left from where an fireplace / stove used to be. Regardless of this, in order to soundproof properly, this hole would need to be covered up.

Are there / could there be any issues with doing this? I have ventilation exit points elsewhere in the apartment, including: (i) the adjacent living room, (ii) the toilet, (iii) the bathroom and (iv) the kitchen.

Thank you!

• Ventilationshål på en ljus vägg nära ett vitt tak med rikt utsmyckad taklist.
    Inloggade ser högupplösta bilder
    Skapa konto
    Gratis och tar endast 30 sekunder
Is there a ventilator in the wall from outside for the bedroom?

Jonatan79 Jonatan79 skrev:
Is there a ventilator in the wall from outside for the bedroom?
Nope, not as far as I know anyway. It's a wall in the middle of the building (not an outside wall) and it's just an empty hole.

R Rupy271 skrev:
Nope, not as far as I know anyway. It's a wall in the middle of the building (not an outside wall) and it's just an empty hole.
Is it any air coming from the ventilator?

Is it any air coming from the ventilator?
Honestly, it's impossible to tell. It's a passive hole (i.e. there is no mechanical element either pushing air in or taking air out) so when I hover my hand near it to feel, I can't tell whether there's air coming in or coming out.

You need fresh air in your bedroom and living rooM. It seems the house got an incomplete system:( or nothing at all.

You need fresh air in your bedroom and living room. It seems the house got an incomplete system :( or nothing at all.
It has vents in at the window, and other vents out (in the bathroom etc. as I mentioned in the original post) so it has a sufficient ventilation system. I understand there are regulatory requirements to check it every 6 years, and the building was built in the 1900s and renovated in the 1970s, so it must be compliant.

R Rupy271 skrev:
It has vents in at the window, and other vents out (in the bathroom etc. as I mentioned in the original post) so it has a sufficient ventilation system. I understand there are regulatory requirements to check it every 6 years, and the building was built in the 1900s and renovated in the 1970s, so it must be compliant.
Ok, I see. I’m guessing that the vent in the wall are inactive.

Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.