[Cost of re-installing of electrical wiring with earth fault safety]

Jag planerar att köpa en gammal villa i Borås, som byggdes 1960. Den har enbart gammal säkring och kablar från 1960-talet.
Någon som har en idé om vad det kostar om jag vill byta ut eldistribution mot ny standard.
Huset är cirka 100 kvm i källaren och 100 kvm i 1:a våningen.
5 rum varav 4 sovrum.
Huset har redan 3-fas elektrisk anslutning.

[I'm planning to buy an old villa in Borås, which build in 1960. It have old style fuse only and wiring from 1960s.
Anyone have an idea what will be the cost if I want to replace electrical distribution with new standard.
House is around 100sq meters in basement and 100sq meters in 1st floor.
5 rooms of which 4 are bed rooms.
House already have 3 phase electrical connection.]

Bästa svaret

Well, first you/we have to decide whether you actually have to change anything. Cables from the 60's are probably still OK, or even good as new as that's modern plastic based cabling.

So if they haven't lived a hard life, e.g. in light fixtures that ran with incandescent bulbs and were exposed to high heat, then they're likely to still be in good shape.

And a fuse panel from the 60's with replaceable one-time use fuses ("diazed") is virtually indestructible. It actually has a few advantages over modern style panels with resettable breakers.

So there's possibly no need to replace anything just because of age. What you may instead consider are upgrades that may be needed to bring everything up to modern requirements. You most likely wont have earthed sockets outside the kitchen/unfinished basement; that's usually not a problem today as most equipment is double isolated, i.e. it doesn't use a protective earth, but there are a few exceptions. If so the entire room has to be upgrade to earthed sockets (including overhead lights).

You may also want to install a GFCI/RCD (earth fault protector). That can often be done even with an older panel, but it's then difficult to section the panel. You'll have to run the entire house on one GFCI which may not be optimal. (But it can work well, that's how I run my house completely without problems.)

So what I'm saying is that you may get away with updating what's there, instead of a whole house replacement.

Now, cost of replacing the whole thing is difficult to answer. How much is internal vs. wall mounted installations? Wall mounting is much cheaper and quicker for example. What shape are the conduits? How much new wire needs to be pulled? In the sixties there are examples of e.g. PE conductors being included in the pulled wires, but not connected. Upgrading such an installation to be earthed is of course much quicker and cheaper. How many earth faults do you have and how quick are they to find if you're installing a GFCI etc. etc.

But if you're looking at the whole house, and not knowing more than what you've said, I'd be surprised if you got a quote that wasn't six figures. But difficult to say as much of that would be working hours and not material.

• Gilla
  • Älska
Panor82 och 3 till
  • Laddar…
Som sagt troligen finns ingen anledning att byta all el bara baserat på åldern.

Men det som bör göras, om det inte redan är gjort är att installra en jordfelsbrytare vid elcentrlen. Den höjer säkerheten kraftigt. Om det är en äldre diazed central, så brukar man sätta jordfelsbrytaren i en liten kapsling bredvid.

• Gilla
  • Älska
Dilato och 2 till
  • Laddar…
Är uttag och brytare från 60-talet så bör dessa bytas. Uttagen slits och har sämre elsäkerhet än dagens
Detta är något som man själv får lov att göra.

• Gilla
  • Älska
Panor82 och 3 till
  • Laddar…
lars_stefan_axelsson lars_stefan_axelsson skrev:
Well, first you/we have to decide whether you actually have to change anything. Cables from the 60's are probably still OK, or even good as new as that's modern plastic based cabling.

So if they haven't lived a hard life, e.g. in light fixtures that ran with incandescent bulbs and were exposed to high heat, then they're likely to still be in good shape.

And a fuse panel from the 60's with replaceable one-time use fuses ("diazed") is virtually indestructible. It actually has a few advantages over modern style panels with resettable breakers.

So there's possibly no need to replace anything just because of age. What you may instead consider are upgrades that may be needed to bring everything up to modern requirements. You most likely wont have earthed sockets outside the kitchen/unfinished basement; that's usually not a problem today as most equipment is double isolated, i.e. it doesn't use a protective earth, but there are a few exceptions. If so the entire room has to be upgrade to earthed sockets (including overhead lights).

You may also want to install a GFCI/RCD (earth fault protector). That can often be done even with an older panel, but it's then difficult to section the panel. You'll have to run the entire house on one GFCI which may not be optimal. (But it can work well, that's how I run my house completely without problems.)

So what I'm saying is that you may get away with updating what's there, instead of a whole house replacement.

Now, cost of replacing the whole thing is difficult to answer. How much is internal vs. wall mounted installations? Wall mounting is much cheaper and quicker for example. What shape are the conduits? How much new wire needs to be pulled? In the sixties there are examples of e.g. PE conductors being included in the pulled wires, but not connected. Upgrading such an installation to be earthed is of course much quicker and cheaper. How many earth faults do you have and how quick are they to find if you're installing a GFCI etc. etc.

But if you're looking at the whole house, and not knowing more than what you've said, I'd be surprised if you got a quote that wasn't six figures. But difficult to say as much of that would be working hours and not material.
Thanks for the reply, so I think I just needs to pay attention to 4 sockets in living room, 2 double sockets in each 3 rooms and all sockets in kitchen. as per the conduits I feel we need to use new earth wires untill the distribution board. Then new earth conductor as well. Also I need to add new distribution board with MCCB, MCBs and RCCB(3p).

A
Kontakta lite olika el-firmor och begär in offerter på jobbet.

• Gilla
Wachira Lunuvilage
  • Laddar…
Wachira Lunuvilage Wachira Lunuvilage skrev:
Thanks for the reply, so I think I just needs to pay attention to 4 sockets in living room, 2 double sockets in each 3 rooms and all sockets in kitchen. as per the conduits I feel we need to use new earth wires untill the distribution board. Then new earth conductor as well. Also I need to add new distribution board with MCCB, MCBs and RCCB(3p).
Well, as mentioned before you'll probably do OK by just adding one RCB/GFCI to the entire existing panel/distribution board. If that's doable, then that's going to be much cheaper.

And it's usually impossible to just add a grounding wire in Swedish in-the-wall conduits. You'll have to pull all the old wires and pull new ones. This may be a simple job, or close to impossible depending on the condition of the conduits (they may have pulled apart inside the wall, be blocked etc.) So think about whether you actually need grounding that much. If you don't have grounded equipment then the ground doesn't add much.

• Gilla
Wachira Lunuvilage
  • Laddar…
Also, please note again that you DO NOT need earth wires or earthed outlets for a RCB/GFCI to work.

So as said before, a good start is to add an RCB to the existing panel.

• Gilla
Wachira Lunuvilage och 1 till
  • Laddar…
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.