Dear forum,

I want to apologize for using English but unfortunately my Swedish writing skills are not enough to write this post:)

So my house is full of coaxial sockets and channels and I was wondering if it will be possible to pull the cables and replace them with Ethernet.

A typical socket in a room:
569509-357f12eb00f835b4d144256eef0598cc.jpg

Those channels seem to go up to the attic and by having a fast look on my attic I was able to found something like that:
569511-c4cdd48f1b742a42de982a22437f19a4.jpg

Is anyone aware what kind of channels are those? Do you think that are channels for the coaxial cables? Are people here which managed to do something similar (replace coaxial with Ethernet) ?

Thank you all!
coax_channels-jpg.588843

• Öppen vägguttag med synliga koaxialkablar och kanaler, använd för att diskutera kabelbyte till Ethernet.
    Inloggade ser högupplösta bilder
    Skapa konto
    Gratis och tar endast 30 sekunder
  • Isolering på vinden med synliga rörledningar och kablar längs träbjälkar.
    Inloggade ser högupplösta bilder
    Skapa konto
    Gratis och tar endast 30 sekunder
It's normally standard cable channels so you can swap the coax's with CAT. If you manage to pull out the coax's, they can be quite heavily stucked.......;)

• Gilla
confy
  • Laddar…
The channels may be for the coax cables or for elektricity or old phone lines. It should be possible to pull ethernet in the same channels. It may be tough to get more than one cable in each channel.

• Gilla
confy
  • Laddar…
MrJay
Those are ordinary 16mm conduits for cabling, nothing out of the ordinary. To answer your question - yes it’s fully possible to replace coax with Ethernet cabling. I would recommend UTP variant with less shielding in case you are planning on having two cables in same conduit since they take up less space than STP/FTP (which are probably overkill anyway). We’ve replaced all telephony cabling and sockets in our walls with Ethernet.

• Gilla
confy
  • Laddar…
First thank you all for you replies, they are super helpful!

MrJay MrJay skrev:
Those are ordinary 16mm conduits for cabling, nothing out of the ordinary. To answer your question - yes it’s fully possible to replace coax with Ethernet cabling. I would recommend UTP variant with less shielding in case you are planning on having two cables in same conduit since they take up less space than STP/FTP (which are probably overkill anyway). We’ve replaced all telephony cabling and sockets in our walls with Ethernet.
I am thinking to go with CAT6 UTP to be more future-proof, max distances are around ~30 meters so I can achieve speeds up to 10 Gbps and PoE which I am mostly interested!

For those short distances even CAT5e would probably work for 10GbE.
CAT5e are usually thinner than CAT6. With some luck and lots of cable lube you might be able to get three cables through.

Coaxial cables are usually run in series, which makes them non-ideal for ethernet unfortunately.

• Gilla
confy
  • Laddar…
C confy skrev:
10 Gbps and PoE
These 2 are mutually exclusive. Anyway that is just nitpicking. If the cables are really stuck in some place where you can not replace the tubing you can run ethernet via MoCa adaptors.

• Gilla
confy
  • Laddar…
C confy skrev:
Dear forum,

I want to apologize for using English but unfortunately my Swedish writing skills are not enough to write this post:)

So my house is full of coaxial sockets and channels and I was wondering if it will be possible to pull the cables and replace them with Ethernet.

A typical socket in a room:
[bild]
A small nitpick: classical EtherNet was done from the beginning for RG8 - ie coaxial cable but this is i believe RG59 ie for cable tv. Which also at one time was used for EtherNet (multiple ethernet connections and one or two cable tv signals.)

Though it should be possible to pull through twisted-pair cabling in the ducts.

• Gilla
confy
  • Laddar…
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.