Hi there,

I am building a friggebod and I have noticed a slight bow/dip in one of the edge support frame beams. What has happened is this.

I ignorantly used a piece of treated wood as the middle support in the middle of the beam. (all other supports are in concrete and using metal stolpsko).

The wood has shrunk due to drying out and so it has meant that the beam has bowed.

Attached is an exaggerated drawing of what has happened.

Is it possible to jack the beam up in the middle and then replace the wooden support with a Justerbar Tessasfot under it to keep it at the correct height? Will that hold the weight ok? The base is rock.

I am thinking one of these

https://www.bauhaus.se/justerbar-terassfot-eco-xl-130-198mm

Or any other ideas.

Thanks for any help.

• Exaggererad ritning som visar hur en träbjälke böjer sig på grund av krympning i mittenstödet.
    Inloggade ser högupplösta bilder
    Skapa konto
    Gratis och tar endast 30 sekunder
Det finns nog engelska forum för husbygge kanske underlättar.

• Wow
Luddis_1
  • Laddar…
The foot is ok for 220 kg which I think sounds enough. Why not use more than one to be safe?

With reservation of not having interpreted your drawing correctly one cheap solution could be to chop out two flat wedges of impregnated wood. Jack the beam up and knock the wedges together and fix them with a metal bracket. Although on rock you should also use a piece of bitumen paper underneath.

Illustration av impregnerade träkilarna under en balk, fixerade med en metallplatta på en berggrund.
Inloggade ser högupplösta bilder
Skapa konto
Gratis och tar endast 30 sekunder

A Arnodt skrev:
A Arnodt skrev:
Probably. However, since Swedes hold the worldwide second place after Dutch in terms of English understanding as a foreign language, it should be quite possible to get a good answer from all the helpful people here too ;)

• Gilla
Anna_H och 6 till
  • Laddar…
Next question: Is/will the bow be visible after that the rest is done?

Wouldn't there be risk of a lot of movement in the future if the support is still made out of wood?

Perhaps it would be better to place extra supports made of steel or stone under the supportbeam instead?

K Kyleman skrev:
The foot is ok for 220 kg which I think sounds enough. Why not use more than one to be safe?
Yep I was also thinking that. ;)

Dowser4711 Dowser4711 skrev:
Next question: Is/will the bow be visible after that the rest is done?
Nope that will be hidden from the outside. However internally the floor will have a slight dip in it, and when I lay the list it will show a gap where it is bending. See pitcure.

• Illustration av ett golv med en böjning och list som visar en glipa på grund av golvet böj.
Violina Violina skrev:
Wouldn't there be risk of a lot of movement in the future if the support is still made out of wood?

Perhaps it would be better to place extra supports made of steel or stone under the supportbeam instead?
Yep exactly, I will remove the wooden support and replace it with concrete so that it doesnt bow any more. The main problem is trying to remove the bow. As it shows internally.

Sockerhög Sockerhög skrev:
With reservation of not having interpreted your drawing correctly one cheap solution could be to chop out two flat wedges of impregnated wood. Jack the beam up and knock the wedges together and fix them with a metal bracket. Although on rock you should also use a piece of bitumen paper underneath.

[bild]
Hi there. Interesting solution. Although I dont think this will be possible. I am at the stage of the build where I am about to put up the OSB so I thought I would try to straighten it out before I do that. I think I might get the same problem when the wood shrinks again.

S Squidge 69 skrev:
Yep exactly, I will remove the wooden support and replace it with concrete so that it doesnt bow any more. The main problem is trying to remove the bow. As it shows internally.
I don't know if it's an ok method to do, but if you wet the wood, jack it up in place, and then let it dry, it should retain it's new shape..

Violina Violina skrev:
I don't know if it's an ok method to do, but if you wet the wood, jack it up in place, and then let it dry, it should retain it's new shape..
Yeah I was hoping that the reason its bowed is because the wood has an amount of water it in, so hopefully its still there and I can slowly tease it back into place.

M

• Gilla
Violina
  • Laddar…
S Squidge 69 skrev:
Nope that will be hidden from the outside. However internally the floor will have a slight dip in it, and when I lay the list it will show a gap where it is bending. See pitcure.
Ah, but then it will be visible. :)
(And something you would feel.)

My guess is that the simplest method, that *should* give you an acceptable result is to loosen the support in the middle, then use plastic shim's to prop it up until everything is level. Look at the closest hardware store, they are usually in the spot where they have door and window tools. Those can be added in increments of 1mm and won't change over time.

My guess is that the simplest method, that *should* give you an acceptable result is to loosen the support in the middle, then use plastic shim's to prop it up until everything is level. Look at the closest hardware store, they are usually in the spot where they have door and window tools. Those can be added in increments of 1mm and won't change over time.

You mean something like this?

• Illustration av en byggkonstruktion med balk stödd av pelare och plastkilar på en snedställning.
Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.