H
Hi all,

I am seeking advice on heating for the garage.

It has to be run on electric as there is not heat source form the pump in the main house.

Should i go for straight up electric heaters or are oil based electric heaters better - i'm looking for efficiency more than anything.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
H

PS Sorry again for the English.

As you are looking for efficiency, you should go for a cheap heat pump. They are 3-4 times more efficient compared to an electrical heater.

H
I'm not sure what you mean by heat pump. Like a water system?

H
I hadnt considered something like this, would that be appropriate for keeping a garage warm - this is just for the purposes of winter time, I'm not going to be doing much work in there probably maintain 12 degrees during the winter months.

I was looking at something like this - https://www.jula.se/catalog/bygg-oc...da-element/oljefylld-elradiator-430121/#tab02

But then found electric elements, its a real struggle relying on translate sometimes :D

OK, hard to know what you want/need.

• Gilla
Hudson0804
  • Laddar…
H
Perhaps I can explain better. The garage is two separate spaces, each approx 20m2, the intention is to have each stay "warm" during the winter, perhaps 10-12 degrees.

I guess i need to look at the manuals of the options and see what the KW/H cost is.

Thanks for helping - im aready 10 steps forward form when I started.

An ordinary electric heater is a cheap way of getting some heat, note that you get the same amount of heat irrespectively of heater type, ie an oil filled heater doesn't give you more heat compared with one without oil.
The only way of getting more heat/kWh is to use a heat pump.

• Gilla
Hudson0804
  • Laddar…
H
I've been reading about heat pumps, some comments on the struggle maintaining low temperature 10-15 degrees in winter without freezing.

I guess the advantage to oil is they get hot quicker perhaps and take longer to cool - better thermal efficiency perhaps.

Thank you for your time @etompau you have been very helpful.

• Gilla
etompau
  • Laddar…
Heat pumps are a common way of getting extra heat in Swedish houses. A well proven product.
You are correct in that the efficiency drops when the outside temperature drops below -10 and lower.

• Gilla
Hudson0804
  • Laddar…
Another thing that's important is where (in Sweden?) you live.

In the very south, it will take a long time to make up for the investment from a heat pump.
In the very north it will be fast.

/ Best regards, Fredrik

• Gilla
Hudson0804
  • Laddar…
H
im about 3 hour north of Stockholm, in Dalarna,

This is a new built garage so the retrun on investment is not a major concern, but the fine balance between economy and maintenance costs, Oil heaters buy use and then discard when they stop functioning. Theres regular maintenance of heat pumps.

Im open to both ideas as a principle, just want to hopefully make the best fit.

Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.