We like to insulate our house.
Roof and floor is insulated with sawdust and in the ceiling is 200mm isover insulation but the outside wall is not insulated.
Wall construction is beams of 75mm thick and on the outside there is windpaper with wood.
I want to insulate from the inside and think to do it as follow :
Make 100 x 50 beams inside but not agains the wall but leave a space of 50mm between the original wall and the new beams. Then put 145mm insulation between the beams. Over the beams plastic and then MDF.
Hope you understand what I try to explane and I hope someone can advive me like is the construction fine and is 145mm insulation enough

Is it an old house?
Either way, do not use MDF for walls.

The house is from 1933
Ok no mdf but plywood is that fine ?

If there is a air gap between the wind paper and the panel outside then it is fine. If there is no air gap then you will get problems.

Nol Nol skrev:
The house is from 1933
Ok no mdf but plywood is that fine ?
Probably, but expensive. Standard technique in Sweden is gypsum with OSB behind wherever you expect to put up heavy stuff.
As for plastic - well, you really need to make sure that any moist won’t just go elsewhere and concentrate there, with rotting as a result. I’m personally skeptic to plastic, but if you choose not to use it, you should use some insulation that ”breathes” and lets moist evaporate. Sawdust does that, and there are modern insulation options such as flax that do too. Glass fibre or stone wool, however, does not.

There is a gap between the panel and the windpaper

I also thought about gips (gipsskivor) on OSB and that would be no problem, maybe even better because of the OSB that will regulate better.
About plastic I don´t want to get moister get in the Isover insulation and moister will regulated in the OSB and gips.
But maybe an other insulation material like Paroc is an better option ?

And is 150mm insulation enough ?

Does anyone have an answer to my last 2 questions ?

Is Paroc a better option ?

And is 150mm insulation enough ?

if I were you I would look into using natural fibers as insulation (for example cellulose or flax), because they do not require the addition of the plastic film, and will likely be better for the overall health of an old house. the insulating properties are just as good as with mineral wool, but unlike mineral wool they're able to buffer/regulate the moisture in the building.

as far as the thickness of the insulation goes, I can't give much advice I'm afraid. You say you've got 75mm beams, I don't understand entirely what you mean. Is it "stående plankstomme"?

I've personally got a timber frame house (korsvirke) that I need to insulate in a couple of places, and what I will do is create a gap just like you will, and then create a new 45 mm wall frame. the layer closest to the old wall will be a thin fibre board (like masonite), then between the studs I will insulate with cellulose, and finish off with OSB and drywall (gipsskivor). the reason I don't need more insulation than that is that the timber frame insulates well in itself and I mainly need a sturdy inner wall to be able to secure kitchen cabinets to the wall.

• Gilla
Nol och 1 till
  • Laddar…
Thank you for your advice.

I know what you mean with cellular insulation. I made a camper (husbil) from an industry Ducato and I insulate it with sheepwool. Perfect and it stands moister.
I look for it and found icell so now I am looking where to buy it and what it cost per m2
If there is an other brand I like to know it

I think I have a "stående plankstomme" and I made a draw to explane it.
wand.jpg

Since I have no insulation in the wall I think I need more then your 45mm and think about 145 but maybe someone have a answer for the thickness

Make 45x70 beam framework and insulate 70+70 or 70+95. Use cellulose if possible and moisture barrier on the inside. Also make sure that the house have decent ventilation. As for floor and roof se if there is room for some cellulose insulation there aswell

Thank you major_tom for the links

@Johannes Carlsson : what you suggest is to put cellulose agains the original wall and then 45x70 beams and between those beams again cellulose.
Do I understand well ?
But how about the moister barrier ? Plastic shield ? Major_Tom say not and you say yes ?!

The house have a good ventilation.
The roof and floor is filled with at least 20cm sawdust and I only can put some cellulose insulation on a small part of the roof.

You understand correctly.

I mean you should use "ångbroms" instead of plastic

• Gilla
Nol
  • Laddar…
Thanks again, last question : is ångbroms important over icell ?
I thought it was important over mineralull (isover) insulation but not over icell ?

It is less important but still fills a function. If you have good ventilation there should be no problem with your fairly thin walls

Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.