Hej

I read different things about how deep a 220V cable must be in the ground.
We want to make 2 outdoor lights and therefor we need a new cable in the ground.
I know it must be EKLK or EKKJ cable in an yellow hose but how deep it must be is not clear to me.
I read it must be between 40 and 65 cm deep but I also think it depends on the area because I read that in Kungälv it should be 50 cm and for Umeå energie and Sollentunna energie it should be 40cm
My other question is if this : http://www.nords.se/sv/dranering-o-fuktskydd/dranering/kabelslang-5042.html kableslang 50/42 is good for this

Mvh
Nol

That type of hose will be just fine. If you use EKKJ cable, you don't need to use the hose, but it still a good idea. EKLK needs the hose.

The depth is up for debate in this forum, but as long it's safe from physical harm, you are very safe. Are you digging by hand or by a machine. I'd settle for 40 cm, especially if digging by hand. I guess its not often you get farmers tractors plowing on your back yard, or other potential dangers? So don't worry.

Tack så mycket. (y)

I have to dig by hand and there are a lot of rocks so less deep is better but it must be safe enough.
I know that EKKJ have a steel wire inside which must be use as an earth cable, just like in Holland
Suppost I use the EKKJ at ±40cm deep and put the markingsband over it, would that be fine ?
And last question, in Holland I always use grey ground cable with steel wire inside and as far as I know it is well-known in Sweden as industrial cable. We call it VMVKas and it is a 3 x 2,5 cable, the EKKJ is a 3 x 1,5 cable
It looks like this :
vmvkas.jpg
Pickture is 2 x 2,5 but I have many meters 3 x 2,5 of that, can I use this cable too ?

I guess the broader question here is if a cable approved in another EU country can be used here.

I assume the answer is yes, and I am sure the cable is perfectly safe. Your installation will, however, look at bit odd if you ever have it inspected and a future buyer of your property might have some concerns.

As long as the manufacturer adheres to some established standard, for example, IEC 60227, then the cable is ok to use in Sweden. I can't see any problems with that either as it resembles the EKKJ that we're used to - it has a screen that (I suppose) have the minimum area of 1.5 mm2 for a protective conductor, and it has a blue conductor for the neutral.

The depth depends on the location - lawn, drive way, field. About 35 cm is ok for the lawn while a drive way may require more, and also sand around the cable to prevent damage.

Nol skrev:
Tack så mycket. (y)

I have to dig by hand and there are a lot of rocks so less deep is better but it must be safe enough.
I know that EKKJ have a steel wire inside which must be use as an earth cable, just like in Holland
Suppost I use the EKKJ at ±40cm deep and put the markingsband over it, would that be fine ?
And last question, in Holland I always use grey ground cable with steel wire inside and as far as I know it is well-known in Sweden as industrial cable. We call it VMVKas and it is a 3 x 2,5 cable, the EKKJ is a 3 x 1,5 cable
It looks like this :
[bild]
Pickture is 2 x 2,5 but I have many meters 3 x 2,5 of that, can I use this cable too ?
First of all, it seems you want to be on the safe side so my suggestion is to use an outer jacket hose such as this: http://www.pipelife.se/se/product_database.php?id=210
It provides two functions, a.) protectiong against mechanical wearing of the internal cable especially if there are a lot of gravel and rocks in the ground, and b.) has a labelling "KRAFTKABEL" which means Power Cable. Anyway, it's just a thought.

On the other hand, I think maybe you are confusing the cable screen as an earthing wire. I know that there are slight variations between Sweden and Holland. For instance in Holland it's perfectly OK and common practice to do tap-off's directly on the main cable, cover it in a cast resin box and dig it down in the ground, in fact that is done in most countries in Europe outside of Scandinavia. You can't really do that in Sweden, well you can (but it's a different story that I don't want to go into now). Anyway, it is correct that we normally earth the cable screen, but that doesn't mean that it is an earthing wire, per se. You should preferrably use a separate yellow/green cable as an earthing/grounding cable. So a 3G2,5 EKKJ or other types such as AXKJ, N1XE would be fine, but at the end it's your wallet and your choice.

Nol skrev:
How do you intend to use the 3x2,5 + 2,5 cable? (In swedish terms 3x2,5 + 2,5 is three wires each 2,5mm2 and one shield with an area of 2,5mm2).

In Sweden it's not allowed to use a wire as both ground and neutral unless it's area is atleast 10mm2.

So if your wire is 3x2,5 + 2,5 then you can use the shield for ground and the three wires for either a neutral and two phases or for three phases in the rare cases you don't need a neutral (for example for a three phase pump motor).

In older installations you can see 6mm2 and even 2,5mm2 as a common ground and neutral but the old rules are only "grandfathered" for existing installations in good shape. Any extension/addition/replacement has to be done according to todays 10mm2 requirement.

Regarding the depth you dig: It's a good idea to dig deeper where wehicles or similar will run over where the cable is.

Thank you all, I appreciate it very much
I look at the cable which I have and it is not VMvKas but YMvKas and this cable is conform the IEC 60228 which overruled the IEC 60227
It is a 3x2,5 + 2,5 cable which mean 3 wires of 2,5 mm2 + one shield of 2,5 mm2
Colors are black for the fase and blue for the 0 and green/yellow for the ground, the shield wire is just for the protection of the hole cable.
What I want to do is this :
I try to dig as deep as I can to 40 cm and if there are no rocks I put the YMvKas cable in de ground and close it with sand and put the markingsband over it. When there are rocks then I use the cableslang as an extra protection for the cable.
It is all grass, no traffic or tractors just a grassclipper.
Even in Holland we are allowed to use the shield wire as the grounding wire I never do that, I always keep the shield wire for cable protection.
So I use the 3x2,5 mm2 wire for connecting the lights and use the shield 2,5 mm2 for cable protection.
I put a green/yellow heatshrink around the shield wire and connect it to the ground connector in the power board.
I think that is a correct way, if not please let me know.

Sound correct to me (the same way I would do with a EKLK 3g2,5)

In Sweden you may connect the shield to ground at both or one end if you also use one "normal" wire as ground, AFAIK.

In this case I think it would be a good idea to connect both the yellow-green wire and the shield to ground at both ends.

I will do that, thank´s
How do you connect the field wire ?
I mean you put a heatshrink over the fieldwire but what then ?
Connect it to a toppklämmar ? But will that work good ?
We connect the fieldwire to a klämma like this :
kroonsteen.jpg
From the klämma we go with a regular 2,5 mm2 green/yellow wire to the powerboard
But how do you it in Sweden ?

Why not use the same cable all the way to the distribution board? But, of course, you can connect it to any proper junction box as well. Screw terminals like the one in your picture are preferrable for the screen - use whatever which you are fully confident will make a good and long-lasting joint!

And I hope your cable fulfills some more standards besides IEC 60228 as this one only deals with conductors, not cables :(

It is not allowed in Holland to bring the fieldwire into the powerboard (distributionboard) because it is en twisted wire.

I only have a Dutch manual and that give me the following standards : K42C-1-4-D / HD604-4D / NEN 3617]

In Sweden you are generally allowed to bring all wires into the "fuse box" (powerboard/distribution board?) as long as the wires are allowed to be used in a fixed installation (and meets the environmental durability demands in the place it is used, for example some wires may only be used indoors in dry rooms).

If you want you may use yellow-green insulation tape over the shield and bring it all way up to a ground connection if you don't want to use that kind of "klämma". (The general swedish slang word used for such "klämma" with wire inlets from two ways is "sockerbit" (sugar bit) but in catalogs and official writing you probably fint it called "kopplingsplint" or similar)

Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.