I wish I could write this in Swedish...
I am a newcomer to Uppsala, Sweden and have just bought a 3:a apartment in the size of about 75 SQM which is lived by an old couple for 30 years.
(1) Obviously, the wallpaper of the two bedrooms and the living room has to be torn down. I prefer paint. So, I would like to have new paint on the walls of the two bedrooms, the living room, the dining room and the hallway.
(2) In addition, I would like to have wooden flooring in the two bedrooms (currently, plastic flooring).
(3) If my budget allows, I would like to do something with the bathroom (shower place) as well.
Do you think I can do items (1) and (2) by myself...?
If not, could anyone kindly recommend to me some reliable renovation builders in Uppsala for a quotation?
Thank you very very much in advance.

tjnora skrev:
Do you think I can do items (1) and (2) by myself...?
Hi, and welcome to this site! If You can do it yourself... Well I guess it depends on how skillful You are ;) OK, trying to be serious. I think 1 and 2 are very common project that many people do without help. The result will of course depend on your experience and how much time and effort you are willing to put in.

I think both 1 and 2 are suitable "do it yourself projects" because You can do them with a limited set of tools and if the result is unsatisfying, the problem is only cosmetic.

It's another thing if You start to mess with water for example where a bad result can get very expensive!

So I say go for it!

As for renovation builders in Uppsala, I have no clue...

Hi,
1 & 2: Go for it.
3: Ask your neighbours for recommendations, that's the safest bet. Once you have a quote from a builder..1, you'll be chocked about the cost..2, get on the forum again to get confirmation that the price is right...and what you need to know yourself in order to ensure the work is done according to standards. There's freely available industry standards online, but only in Swedish as far as I know.

Some tips for 1 & 2:
1: Get a steamer for wallpapper removal, and some putty knifes . Some sanding paper, spackle/putty..etc. It's pretty straight forward work, you just need to put some time and energy into it and make sure the walls are smooth and even before applying the paint. I would also recommend some sort of primer/base colour straight after removing the wall paper if the walls are concrete, to bind loose particles into the walls.
2. Flooring is also pretty easy...but takes a bit of planning...sometimes you can install the floor over the plastic carpet (As it is a ***** to remove glued carpets...) but the floor needs to align with door frames and tresholds etc.. calculate that a laminated wooden floor adds about 1 centimeter in height. Massive flooring adds a lot more.

Good luck!

Hi Alfredo & Forbo! Many thanks for taking the time to respond! Although your replies are very encouraging, I really doubt whether I can get items (1) & (2) done by myself. I do have all the time in the world though… Okay, I’m convinced I should give it a try... If it all gets messed up, I’ll then find a nice handyman to help clear the mess…Just hope it won’t cost me more than before things got messed up! I’ve watched some home renovation DIY videos on Youtube. Seems like to do the jobs (1 & 2), quite a variety of chemicals (base, paint, glue, etc.) will be needed. My problem is I don’t know Swedish at all and all those chemical instructions written on the containers are in Swedish. Headache. Anyways, let’s see how it goes. For the shower place, I agree entirely, I should leave it in the hands of professional. Just wondering if at the end of the day, I really need a handyman to do something with the shower place, tear off the wallpapers, paint the walls and have two bedrooms installed with wooden flooring, how much will it cost in Swedish krona roughly…

Sorry, one more question...Heard that in Sweden, the government offers a "renovation allowance" to property owners. What's the name of that allowance? I would be most grateful if someone could give me information on this allowance. Thanks a lot in advance!

Check www.skatteverket.se for the word ROT (Renovering Och Tillbyggnad). They will tell you how it works.

ROT (Renovering Och Tillbyggnad). Great! Thanks a lot!

Basically you can get up to 50,000 SEK in tax credit (per co-owner and year) against qualifying renovation work. 50% of the labor cost can be credited up to the 50k limit.

Plenty of rules surrounding this, as you can imagine, so talk to the tax people at Skatteverket as Fasting65 already has suggested.

Got it! Many thanks!!!

Vi vill skicka notiser för ämnen du bevakar och händelser som berör dig.